Skilled Work Regional

491 Visa enables skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia.

The Skilled Work Regional

The Skilled Work Regional Visa – Subclass 491 replaces the 489 visa on the 16th of November 2019. It’s originally a temporary visa that may lead to PR. It’s not employer sponsored and requires you to commit to living and working in a regional area.

General Skilled Migration

Skilled Independent Subclass 189

Skilled or Subclass State Nominated 190

Receive Regional Nomination

In addition to totalling the required points, you still need to be nominated by:

  1. a designated regional area of an Australian state or territory, or
  2. an eligible family member residing in a designated regional area of Australia

On the Expression of Interest you will need to state if you intend to work in any state or regional area. The visa holder will apply to be nominated to work in a profession that is listed on the State or Regional Occupation List. If there is a shortage of individuals skilled to work in that particular profession, the State or regional area may choose to nominate a visa holder to fill these roles.

Please note each state and region has different requirements for nomination. Some States and Regions will require you to lodge a separate application after submitting an expression of interest. Other states and regions do not accept applications and will only contact you with an invitation to apply. If you do not receive an invitation to apply for state nomination, you cannot apply for the visa.

It could be useful to review the individual state or territory websites listed below to see which professions are required and the requirements for regional nomination.

Frequently asked question

Designated regional areas will include every where in Australia except Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

The 491 is a five-year visa. This visa may allow you to apply for the permanent residence through the Subclass 191 – Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional). In order to apply for the permanent visa you will need to meet the following requirements: You have lived, worked or studied in the designated regional area for at least three years, whilst holding a 491 visa, and You can show earnings of at least $53,900 annually for three years. If you have a partner included in your 491 application, only one of you needs to show the three years of annual salary (through tax returns) at or above $53,900. Your partner can be the main applicant for the 191 visa if they can demonstrate meeting this requirement.

Yes you must have your nomination approved in order to apply for this visa. If you do not have a nomination approved by either a state or regional area, or an eligible family member, you cannot apply for this visa.

If you are older than 45 you cannot apply for the 491 visa. Perhaps you could consider the 482 visa or DAMA if you are looking for PR.

The 491 visa is a temporary or provisional visa. However if you work in the area for 3 years you may be able to transition onto the permanent 191 visa.

ASK a question

Feel free to get in touch
we're always here to find solutions for you

Aliquet adipiscing vivamus ultrices ipsum, commodo vitae, elit nec ipsam luctus. Eget non vitae scelerisque eget sapiente libero, lorem nam quis vitae quis morbi, id consequat mauris massa. Nibh sed accumsan pede gravida nec. 

Book your
Appointment today

Hassle free Appointment